Tuesday 12 March 2013

Ile d'Ambre

Thursday 28 February 

At 8a.m Patrick and I left from his place in Kalodyne, by kayak of course, to Ile d'Ambre. This beautiful island is a little treasure. It is a nature reserve and the forestry authority maintain it so that only indigenous vegetation grows there. No-one lives on the island but birds, butterflies and hedgehogs. 
It was a 9 km (maybe 10km) kayak to the island and on the calmest morning I had seen in a while, it was just after a full moon. It was a perfect morning and a great distance to practice my forward paddle and work on some maneuvering skills. Of course Patrick convinced me towing was an essential lesson to learn and for about 200 to 300m he got a free ride! haha! 

When we got to the main land opposite Ile d'Ambre and we meet 10 clients who'd come to join the little expedition to this fascinating island. The Yemaya  team led the way and gave a fantastic insight to the history of the island. Hemraz spoke in great detail and with such passion about how the island came to be and about each of the plants there. Xavier also shared fascinating facts about the Mangrove trees. It was a truly fantastic day and I sat in my kayaking feeling incredibly lucky to have stumbled upon this company, I could not have decided to do this tour with a better group of trainers/guides. 

No comments:

Post a Comment